Many websites assist in filing returns online. Let us compare a few of them -
- Tax filing services for individuals and businesses. Individuals having salaried income and/or interest income and/or multiple properties can use Cleartax.
- Supports multiple Form-16 uploads .
- Supports filing of ITR 1, ITR 2, ITR 2A, ITR 3, ITR 4, ITR 4S, ITR 5 and ITR 6.
- Services of a dedicated CA, suggestions for efficient tax planning and post return filing support for paid e-filing.
- 128 bit SSL encryption. Tax computations verified against calculation engine of IT department.
- Mobile app available.
Create an account, upload relevant documents, get the tax computation, e-filing, Get ITR-V.
- If you are filing yourself, it is free.
- If you use Cleartax services,
- Rs. 799 for Salary and/or house rent income.
- Rs. 2199 for salary, house rent, prizes and capital gains.
- Rs. 2499 for income from profession/ small business along with salary, house rent income, capital gains.
- Rs. 3599 for salary, house rent, prizes and capital gains and foreign income.
- Individuals having income from salary, real estate, capital gains and income from other sources can use this website.
- ITR-1 and ITR-2 forms supported.
- Document Storage, tax history and post filing support.
- 128-bit encryption Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology.
Create an account, upload relevant documentation and answer the questions. Taxsmile will compute the tax payable and refund if applicable. Make the payment if applicable and authorise Taxsmile to e-file your return. Taxsmile will e- file the return and you will get the ITR-V.
- Free for people having income up to Rs. 5,00,000 per annum and filing returns on their own. People with income over Rs. 5,00,000 and filing returns on their own have to pay Rs. 249 (plus taxes).
- The website has a service to file your returns if you only have salaried income, income from other sources and income from house property. This costs Rs. 499 (plus taxes).
- Additional services like ITR-V submission, Refund tracking, Tax history, post filing support and document storage available. Most services cost Rs. 199.
- Support for ITR 1, ITR 2, ITR 2A, ITR 3, ITR 4, ITR 4S.
- Multiple Form 16 uploads possible.
- Mobile app available.
- Different packages available for salaried individuals, NRI individuals, freelancers and businesses.
- 256-bit encryption and automatic back up available.
- Phone and chat support available. Professional assistance of CAs, tax experts, auditors available.
Register with Taxspanner. Upload one or more Form 16 documents. The relevant fields are populated and tax is computed. Select the package and e-file your return by filling all relevant details.
The Do-it-yourself package costs Rs. 299.
Other packages for assisted filing, planning and filing, tax filing for freelancers, Securities traders etc. are available The price ranges from Rs. 499 to Rs. 4,999.
IT Department's Website
You can go to the Income Tax Department's Website to file your returns too.
- All ITR forms available for e-filing.
- Features such as refund status, revised returns filing, e-verification available.
- Free of charge.
- Helpline numbers available for queries.
Register on the website, Select the method of filing returns, select the appropriate ITR. Fill in all the details. Submit the form. Verify the ITR V.
No charges for filing returns.
If your tax filing is simple and if you are an expert or experienced in filing returns, you can file using the official website, else you may use the third party websites. But most third party websites charge for their services. Some offer add-on services. You also share your confidential financial details with them. Remember to go through their offers and security features thoroughly before selecting an appropriate service.