Look for deals and offers
There are a host of travel websites. You should look for deals here. For example, hotels.com gives great bargains on accommodation. Expedia.com offers discounts on vacation packages, hotels etc.
Go to an off season destination
Each destination has a season when people flock to it. But everything is expensive during the tourist season. Try to plan your vacation such that you arrive at your destination just before the tourist season or after the tourist season. Hotels, tourist places of interest will have offers during these times as business is tougher than usual.
You do not have to pack everything. You need to carry essentials of course but ensure that you do not carry unnecessary items. Shopping is a must for many people in vacations but one should take care of what one is buying as most airlines have luggage restrictions and you might end up paying for extra baggage.
Plan in advance
Vacations are for fun. We do not need to work on big excel spreadsheets for them; but it is important to plan in advance. Plan your itinerary so that you do not waste time and money after you reach the destination by thinking on the course of action. Sightseeing can be planned in advance so that you get the relevant information and decide the best way to do it.
Look for secondary destinations/budget destinations
There are always vacation places that are in vogue. But then they could be expensive as they would be the most sought after. Think of nearby places which can be covered in a modest budget. For example, in Europe, everyone wants to go to France and Switzerland. But you still get a wonderful European experience in countries like Czech Republic and Poland.
Once you have reached your vacation destination, you should be careful. Of course you are going for fun and want to let your hair down but you have to be smart and not let your guard down. Here are some tips to ensure that you have a wonderful time at your vacation.
- Take care of money, wallet and cards – Many tourist places are vulnerable to pickpockets and thieves. Ensure that you secure your money, debit cards, credit cards and wallets.
- Do not put all the eggs in one basket which means do not keep all money, cards etc. in one place. Divide it. If you have travel companions ensure some of you if not all carry money and cards so that there is a backup. Keep some money in the hotel safe as well as a backup.
- Do not take all your cards on your vacation and risk them all getting stolen. One debit card and two credit cards should be enough.
- Ensure you have the phone numbers and other identity information required for communicating with your banks, credit card companies handy so that in case of unfortunate events, you can speak to the respective representatives.
- It is good if you take travel insurance as in case of untoward events, you are covered financially at least. There are counter arguments to the same as well which say that there is no increase in risk when you are going to a different place for a cultural tour or a normal sightseeing tour. You have to take the right decision based on circumstances.
Did you face any problems while travelling? Do let us know what you do to ensure that you have a ‘value for money’ vacation?