The book mainly talks about how to handle people, our relations with them and our reactions to people to be able to
- Achieve success in business and personal life.
- Win friends. and
- Be a great persuasive leader.
Techniques to Handle People
Dale Carnegie says you should not criticise or condemn people. It will never give the result desired. People will resent you, ignore you and not respond properly. Instead appreciate them sincerely. People will like you and also work to their highest potential. A person will not be interested to work for your objectives. If you show the person, that you can work together to achieve both your objectives and put across things from their point of view, he/she will eagerly work towards achieving mutually beneficial objectives.
Be an expert in the art of human relations by implementing Dale Carnegie's techniques on winning people over and influencing them.
People will like you if show genuine interest in them and give them importance. You should call people by their name as often as possible. Talking and listening with a smile will make people feel valued and they will become your friends and well wishers for a lifetime.
Usually people like it when you put their interests ahead.
You can win over people and lead them to your way of thinking if you -
- Talk in a friendly manner.
- Listen to the other person's point of view.
- Put forward your idea as theirs.
- Ask affirmative questions.
- Do not argue.
- Do not say the other person is wrong.
- Dramatise your thoughts and appeal to the noble motives of others.
- Throw an acceptable challenge which will motivate them to bring out their best.
It is not always easy to be a leader and be popular as sometimes leaders have to take tough decisions that may be correct but not well liked. You can bring around people to your view point if you -
- Praise people.
- Admit your mistakes.
- Point out others mistakes indirectly.
- Ask for suggestions rather than giving orders.
- Encourage people and give them a high reputation so that they work well to maintain it.
- Offer incentives, praise,responsibility to make a person accept your decision willingly.