Executive Summary – People are increasingly shopping on online stores in India. If you use our online shopping tips like using coupons, using comparison websites, exercise the option of cash on delivery or credit card payment depending on the online store and item to be bought and taking a rational decision on whether to buy or not, you will be satisfied with your shopping experience.
1. Search for coupons – Many companies give online coupons to attract buyers. Before buying online search for deals and coupons. One can find them on coupon sites like Groupon or on online marketplaces like eBay.
2. Cashback – Many websites give a cashback on use of credit and debit cards. Check which of them give the most benefit. Sometimes the cashback maybe in terms of further purchase on the website. It is better to then buy from an online retailer that you frequently visit/buy.
3. Comparison websites – There are many websites that display prices of popular branded goods across all web retailers. You should visit these websites to get the best deals. There is also a website called www.pricebaba.com which helps the buyer compare prices online and prices offline so your buying spectrum becomes even wider.
4. Tips before Purchasing – Before purchasing online, as a buyer, you should read the terms and conditions of purchase. You should know the course of action if delivery is not done, order sent is defective and return and exchange policy. If you are buying from a not very well known website, you should use the Cash-on-Delivery option. If you are not sure about the item, check the reviews. They can be helpful to determine the quality of the product and if it is useful to you.
5. Other tips – You can use different email ids to get advantages that a new consumer gets. Sometimes you get discounts if you add items to the shopping cart and do not buy it for some time. You can use websites like cashkaro.com to get additional discounts. One should also be careful while shopping online. For example, one should NOT click on links in emails from unknown senders even if there are great deals. Before downloading shopping apps, check the reviews and how useful they are. You should also check what permissions they require on your smartphone or handheld device.
6. Credit Card – Many of us use credit cards to shop online. In one way it is good, as if there is a fraud, you can report misuse, in most cases get the money back. Many cards have insurance inbuilt. But one has to take some precautions. You should check your credit card bill to see if any unauthorised online purchases have been added. Credit card payments should be made on time and we have to restrain ourselves from going overboard while purchasing which can happen when we use credit card and do not have to pay hard cash immediately.
7. Ask yourself if you really need the item – Online shopping can get addictive if you are not careful. It is so easy to shop online and get your brand new stuff at your doorstep. But before you buy, ask yourself if you really need it. You should have a good reason to buy it and if it is possible to postpone that purchase, you should.
With a little bit of care, restraint and smart shopping techniques, your online shopping experience will be a pleasurable one.