Executive Summary: A vacation allows you to explore enjoy and discover the wonderful places in the world. A vacation rejuvenates our body, spirit and mind. Let us look at how vacationing has evolved today and how companies are meeting customer demands and what should we take care of from a financial perspective.
Vacations have evolved from being just an annual trip to a particular place and visit a couple of tourist spots. Travel companies have understood that each person is different and wants a different vacation depending on his interests, travel companions and events around the world.
Family Vacations – Family vacations are fun and they can create fond memories. Family members can bond with one another. If you are planning a vacation with your children or parents, you need to have a mix of various experiences like sightseeing, visiting amusement parks, visits to the zoo and some shopping so that the entire family has a memorable time. Most travel companies have tailor made holiday packages depending on the audience. For instance, Kesari can tailor different itineraries for Singapore depending on whether it is a family holiday or a honeymoon. A holiday package is better for a family holiday as meals will be taken care of and transportation will be pre-arranged which is good if you have older people or children with you.
Adventure Holidays – Some of you love adrenaline charged activities to have a memorable vacation. There are plenty of adventure options – Scuba diving in the Andamans, Swimming with Whale Sharks in Maldives, Trekking in the Himalayas or Bungee Jumping in Macau and more. If any of these get your heart pumping, you should go for an adventure holiday. Local travel companies and global giants like Thomas Cook offer adventure holiday packages. Thrillopia offers camps in Rishikesh where you can do overnight camping, kayaking and white water rafting in the mighty Ganges. Trekking organizations have treks in different parts of the country all year around. You can join one of these for a walk with nature. You can take a look at INDIAHIKES and GIO adventures for options and prices. There are many small local travel companies that arrange for adventure sports. If you know someone locally, you can contact them. It is better and safer to go in a group and with guides who know the area. It is also important to select a tour operator who has quality equipment and does not compromise on safety gear.
Religious Tours – Some people prefer to go for spiritual and religious tours to pay their respects to God and to get reconnected to faith. There are travel operators who specialize in these packages.
Theme Holidays – Just visiting popular vacation spot is passé for some of us today. Travel companies now offer theme based vacations. The theme could be based on books, history or culinary experiences. People take a 'Lord of the Rings' vacation tour in New Zealand as the movie was made there. Many places offer wine tasting vacations where you can visit vineyards, learn more about wine and sample fine wines.
Event based Holidays – There is a special thrill in watching live events be it an F1 race or the Football World Cup or visiting places for special events like being part of the Oktoberfest in Munich. If you are a tennis fan, you can plan next year's vacation in London with the Wimbledon in your itinerary and watch the players in white fight for glory while you enjoy your strawberries and cream. Cox and Kings had sold customized packages to Brazil for the Football World Cup in India. British travel company Gullivers has vacation packages for several sporting events like Formula 1 and ICC Cricket World Cup 2015.
Here are some tips as you plan the vacation -
- You should set a budget and also track your actual expenses. Try out an app to keep a track of expenses on your smart phone.
- Booking travel and accommodation in advance will surely save money. Before you buy, check deal sites, coupon portals and cash back websites to get maximum benefit.
- Check portals like airbnb for affordable stay options. Being a paying guest in someone’s house can be good experience in meeting new people and understanding local culture.
- You should research on the place even if you are going on a holiday package.
- It is preferable to take two international credit cards + your debit card. All other cards should be left at home so that even if your wallet gets stolen, the losses are mitigated.
- The credit cards, cash & important documents should be distributed within the adult members so that in case of theft or misplacing, there is a chance that the other is still safe.
- Being together with family & friends’ gives added joy & also the power to bargain. At the same time, a larger group may restrict the individual flexibility. So strike a balance.
- You must have overseas travel insurance so that unforeseen incidents are taken care off.
- You should use public transportation if possible. It is cheaper and you also get to see the real city and get an all-round experience.
- Rent a smaller car, if you must. Rentals are lower & lesser fuel will be used.
Look out for smart tips from friends and families who have been there.
What kind of vacation do you prefer to take? How do you manage your finances so that the vacation truly rejuvenates your spirit, body and mind?
The article is originally published on moneycontrol. The author can be reached at email@example.com