1. Visit the website of the Income Tax Pan Services Unit by clicking here.
2. This page has many options such as application for a new PAN, Reprint of PAN card, enquiring and tracking the status of the application/transaction and request for any changes or correction in the PAN details. Choose the option applicable to you. Since we are discussing about the application for a new PAN, let’s go ahead with that option.
3. You will need to use Form 49A to apply for a new PAN. This can be accessed by clicking here. This should be filled online and submitted. On successful submission of the form, you will see an acknowledgement on the screen which has a unique 15 digit acknowledgement number. You must save and print this acknowledgement.
4. Affix two recent colour photographs in the space provided in the acknowledgment form and sign in the required space. Remember that this photograph will be used on your PAN card; hence make sure to use a clear photograph.
5. The communication address you specify determines the amount you need to pay for the PAN card. If the communication address is within India, you will need to pay Rs. 96 for your new PAN card. The payment can be made either by a demand draft, cheque, credit/debit card or internet banking. On the other hand if the communication address is outside India, you will need to pay Rs. 962, only by means of a demand draft. If you have made payment by credit/debit card or internet banking, you will immediately get an acknowledgement, which needs to be attached to the acknowledgement form mentioned above.
6. You must submit a proof of identity and proof of address along with the acknowledgement form. The name which is carried in the documents should be the same as mentioned in the PAN application form.
7. The acknowledgement form along with the payment/payment proof, photographs, proof of identity and proof of address needs to be sent to NSDL in Pune. This should reach NSDL within 15 days of the date of online application. You must mention these words on the envelope when you send the acknowledgement form - 'APPLICATION FOR PAN - Acknowledgement Number'.
8. All applications will be processed only after receipt of payment. Thus, if you have made a payment by way of cheque or demand draft, you must wait for this to be realized.
After you send the acknowledgement, you can track your application by clicking here. If you have made an online payment, you can also track your transaction by clicking here. You can also write to the NSDL address or SMS NSDLPAN <space> Acknowledgement No. and send it to 57575 to obtain the application status. Click here to read the Dos and Don’ts while filling in Form 49A. Click here to read the general instructions and guidelines while filling Form 49A.
In case you wish to change the details in your existing PAN card, you must choose the option “Changes or Correction in PAN details” under Step 2. There is a separate form which needs to be filled in for this purpose. The steps to be followed are similar to that when a new PAN is applied for. Click here to read the guidelines for change in details of your existing PAN card.