e-sign stands for electronic signature. It is used to sign a document electronically. One need not be physically present to sign a document. It can be done electronically.
The government of India has developer a new e-signature facility for Aadhaar holders. To e-sign a document, one has to have an Aadhaar card and a mobile number registered with Aadhaar.
2) Is it the same as a digital signature?
It is different from a digital signature. A digital signature embeds a digital identification in the document. The person signing needs to have a digital certificate. The digital identification contains information about the user's identity.
3) Where can I use an e-signature?
As of now, there are many places where the e-signature is accepted -
- e-filing of taxes
- Self attestation for Digilocker
- Getting certificates like birth certificate, marriage certificate and income certificate.
Sign your documents electronically
An e-signature offers many conveniences -
- You can sign a document instantly. You need not go physically to another place or some office to sign a document.
- The IT Act, 2000 considers the Aadhaar based eSign as a valid signature for most cases. So it is legally accepted.
- It can be used to create and access the Digilocker.
- It provides authentication, safety and security.
- It saves time and money. Today when you can shop sitting at home, bank sitting in the train or car, have a meeting with international colleagues sitting in the confines of your cubicle, it makes sense that signing documents should also be technologically possible.
- It saves paper. Moreover signed documents can be easily distributed electronically.
- You will have an audit trail of the documents. You do not need to store a lot of paper documentation in your home or office.
The controller of Certifying Authorities has authorised certain companies to operate as service providers for e-sign. The empanelled providers are -
- C-DAC – Provides e-Hastakshar
- eMudhra Limited – Provides eSign
- (n)Code Solutions – Provides (n) Sign
You can register and login to the e-signature service of any of the above mentioned service providers. Use your Aadhaar number and registered mobile number to make payment to get the e- signature facility. The other options is to get a biometric authentication
When you use it to sign a document, the certifying authority validates information with the UIDAI database. If the details are okay, the e-signature with security token is assigned to the document that is uploaded by the user for the signature. The user can then verify the e-signature by downloading the document in PDF format and using the signature panel. In most cases, the user has the option of inviting others to add their e-signature as well. The user who initiates this process will have to pay a fee.
The service is soon catching up and is set to permeate all sections of the online world. It is part of the digital initiative of the government to enable people and provide them useful services with the help of technology.